Sunday, April 11, 2010

Basement Playroom...

I am not a fan of wasted space and in this house I feel like the attic and basement are wasted space. So I have tried to put them to as much use as I can. During the winter when the attic is to cold I turned the creepy basement into a fun playroom for Nash.
I took this picture for the fact that the first time I invited Emory down to play in the playroom he looked down our stairs and with a panicked voice says "Ahh it's old!" It is funny how when I go to other people's homes and we play in the basement they have nice carpet and dry wall! Not us!
This is our noodle/bean center. Instead of having a water or sand table. We have a noodle/bean table. We had a lot of noodles and beans in our food storage that expired so I put them to good use by letting Nash play with them. Yes I do watch carefully so we do not have a choking incident.
The kids love this and I love that it is easy clean-up!
This is the coloring/craft station.
And of course I have colors and shapes all over the room, and we play games with them.
This is the playroom. I saw those cute banner flags on my friend Becky's Blog (Corduroy's Closet) and decided to make us some to cover up the ugly pipes. I think it makes it more friendly.
The floor was pretty gross so I put down a big tarp and an area rug.

That little house is made from my small quilting frames. The basement ceiling was what I think made it so creepy. It was bare beams with pipes and a ton of spider webs. I went through and cleaned those up and made a drop ceiling from plastic dollar store table-cloths and fishing wire. Now it is pretty inviting and a comfortable play area. After we coaxed Emory down the stairs he said he wanted to come again and play in the basement playroom. SUCCESS!

3 comments:

Jeanine said...

YEAH!! I love that you did all that in the creepy basement! It is soo fun and nice(er) looking!
so PS- we won't be coming out to Philly this summer:( I am sad about it. We applied too late so Nick couldn't get in this year. But, we will be applying again next year if you are still around! :)

Randy & JoAnna said...

You have the Hurst gene to come up with ideas to make things work!!! Very creative....you are awesome. Hey are you guys moving then?

Jeff and ReAnn said...

Yeah for you Christina. Having a nicer basement was a must for us and we went into some really scary ones. I love how you have made the space work and it does look great. PS.. what are you basement walls made of?