Sunday, September 12, 2010

New York City Temple

Darin and I decided a few weeks ago that it was time that we went to the temple!  It had been well over 2 years since we had been to the temple together.  Our temple district here in Pennsylvania is Washington DC which is about 3 hours away.  New York City is +/- 2 hours so we decided to take a trip into the city.  Our good friend Stacia offered to watch Nash for us.  He was so excited to go to her house and play.  The plan was to run into the city do a session eat some lunch and come home.  We figured we would be back by the time he woke up from his nap.  Boy were we wrong!  

We started off realizing that our GPS decided to quit on us, so we stopped at Sams Club and bought a new one.  We then forgot the temple address so we called my mom to look it up for us. (Sadly I do this often!)  Well we made GREAT time to the city only to walk into the front desk at the temple only to find out it was CLOSED!  WHAT?!?  ...Soooo we snapped some pictures to remember that we TRIED and decided to take in some quick sites of NYC and head back home.


This temple is just so odd.  If you were walking by and didn't know it was a temple you would never notice it.


We had never gone to the Empire State building so we decided that it might be fun just to walk by it, then go to Time Square and do some shopping.  First off we both were confused on which building was the Empire State Building...okay I WAS CONFUSED and led us to the Chrysler Building.  Once we got that all straightened out, my feet were KILLING me because I wore Sunday shoes and we made a quick stop at Pay Less to purchase some inexpensive comfy shoes... not to mention a bit ugly...Mission accomplished!  We then got a coupon from a street person for Subway and decided to take advantage of that...I KNOW, I KNOW we are in NYC and we should eat New York food.  Well we were cheap and in a hurry!  When we left Subway I left my old shoes there....GRRRR!!!
Finally we made it to the Empire State Building.  There were some guys on the street selling tickets to the Building and the SkyRide. We were told that with these tickets we would get right in to the IMAX theater ride and then straight up to the top, totaling 30 minutes max....WHATEVER!
This "IMAX" theater ride was a joke.  It was a tiny theater, where you sit on a platform that raises up, down, back and forth.  The film was not well done and I was car sick through the whole thing.  Darin was ticked, he loves IMAX theaters.    After recovering from the movie we were herded like cattle for 2 HOURS up to the top of the building.  We found out that Thursday's and Saturday's were the busiest days in the city....mental note taken!
On the positive side the views were GORGEOUS!



I wasn't able to stay out there very long with my skirt.  It was a bit windy and I was showing everyone a little more then I wanted. :)
Because we were in the Empire State Building for so long we didn't get to do the other things we wanted to do.  We had crazy time getting back to the temple riding the metro and kept getting on the wrong train. Then we took a few wrong turns on the way home.  We ended up not picking Nash up until 7:30pm! 
Nothing went right on this trip and I was a bit preoccupied with being away from Nash.  I had never been away from him for that many hours.  I know he was safe and having a fun time but still it was a new experience.  I am happy I was able to spend the day with my sweetheart and I am grateful we made the effort to go to the temple....hopefully next time we will know if it was open or not!

Thanks again Stacia!  ...and mom for looking up the directions!

2 comments:

Alyson said...

Yea! I am loving all the blog updating... You are so cute.

Jeff and ReAnn said...

Holy Crazy experience. At least you got a feel for New York though. Only a few more trips like this and you will have it down. :)