Sunday, July 19, 2009

Family Outing to Palmyra!

This past week Darin had a vacation...actually in the world of ER residents, Darin has been on a vacation all month being in the Orthopedic rotation.  Since he had some time off we wanted to do something fun.  So we packed up the car and headed for a day trip to Palmyra, New York.  It was only supposed to take us 4 hours, but with a child 4 hours turned into almost 6!  Poor little Nasharoo definitely has the Willardson car sickness gene.  We went through all but one outfit on the drive to Palmyra.  After the 3rd vomiting spell I left him naked and put diapers on his chest to protect him from the straps.  He was not happy....
This is definitely a time when we are grateful for the binky!
I was ready to throw in the towel and drive back home.  Thank goodness for Darin who always perseveres through our traveling drama (we have had many!) and didn't let us give up.  
The main purpose for going to Palmyra was to see the Hill Cumorah Pageant. We made it to the Pageant and sat down 1 minute before it started.  I didn't have time to worry about my camera so there are no picture to show the AWESOME production that it was.  I highly recommend it to everyone, the special effects are AMAZING! 
Palmyra had the most beautiful hanging plants I have ever seen.  This picture does not even give them justice.
Darin mentioned to his friend Ryan Southworth that we were going to Palmyra so he rushed home and packed up his family and joined us.  Poor Amy is 3 weeks away from giving birth...such a trouper!  We knew the Southworth family in California.  Ryan attended Western as well and was a major influence in getting us to Lehigh Valley, he is a 2nd year resident.
The next day we visited the Joseph Smith family farm.  We decided against the tour because of little ones.  We will save that for our next trip when our family and friends come to visit us...HINT HINT!
I love it when I get to be in a photo with Nash! 
Darin and Nash documenting the trip.  The rest of the trip was recorded by the Southworth's 6 year old, Jonathan.  I am nervous to watch the footage...a lot of feet and moving!
The texture on this barn was awesome. From what the man said the original barn was built by Brigham Young's father which is Nash's fifth great grand-father (on my side).

Another mommy photo-opportunity!
The Sacred Grove.
I loved the feeling walking into the Sacred Grove.  There was definitely a reverence felt inside this sacred place.
Although, the silence was broken by this chirping/screeching little bird! Just think of Scuttle from Little Mermaid...LOL.  By the way the rocks that Nash is sitting on were set by the Smith family when building their fence.
When I think of the Sacred Grove I think of my Great-Grandmother Hurst.  When I was a child she gave me a leaf she had picked from her visit to Palmyra.  I kept the leaf in my scriptures up until my mission when I placed in a safe place...I don't remember where that safe place is and it is now lost...sigh.  So I was sneaky and picked a new leaf to replace it. (I read a sign later saying you are not supposed to do that...OOPS!)
Nash has his own now too!
I couldn't get over the beauty of this place.

We tried to take a family picture with the Sacred Grove behind us but of course the camera was having some malfunctions (I was missing my D300!).
This trip was definitely spiritual although being with Ryan nothing is too serious and we had some silly fun times too!
I wanted to see if Nash would crawl into this tree.  NOOOO he just got mad!
Then I wanted him to sit in this awesome tree.  He liked it for a second.
Then he became IRATE!  So we quit putting him into trees.
This is the only view we captured of the temple.
Next we visited where the Book of Mormon was originally printed.
I loved all the paintings in this building.  Many of which were the originals.
This is where the Book of Mormon went on sale.  The floor is original.
The Book of Mormon manuscript.  This was awesome to see.  Their writing was amazing.

The printing press.  I never realized how much work went into printing the first Book of Mormons.  Those people had patience!
And yes we had a vomiting fest on the way home.  This time we had NO clothes to put this poor child in and so we had to wrap him in diapers again.

All in all I am so glad we went on this fun trip.  Thank you Darin for not giving into my whining when things got hard.  It is amazing how road blocks get into your way when you are about to experience something so spiritual.  I definitely have a testimony of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith's part in restoring Christ's church to the earth.  As in all LDS church events there were some protestors everywhere we went.  I am always amazed that people think criticizing someone else for their beliefs will cause them to want to be a part of their church.  One of their shirts said "ask me why you are going to hell!"  Then as we walked by he was screaming "it is about Jesus not Joe!"  We passed him and said calmly..."You're exactly right!" It is amazing how little people know or understand our church.  Jesus Christ is the center of our religion.  Joseph Smith was only a tool used to restore the church on Earth.  It is sad the waisted time these protestors spend in degrading other human beings...so much good could have been done with that energy.  This was such a great family activity and I look forward to doing this trip again someday!

9 comments:

CathyCosby said...

So nice, I am proud that your voice was calm in talking to the protestors. Poor Nash you parents really get in his way of fun.

Randy & JoAnna said...

What an awesome experience. Someday we'd like to come out, maybe we could plan a trip with your mom and dad here in the near future? It's time for Randy and I to take a Vacay....

Anonymous said...

Wow Chris, I got the most amazing feeling as soon as I got down to the Grove pictures. I can only imagine how it felt to actually BE there.. so awesome, I'm glad you got these great shots for us all to see.. looks like it was fun!

LindseyFae* said...

Christina! Your pics are beautiful even with a malfunctioning camera. I can honestly say that I have never really had a book of mormon tour on the top of my vacation list, but after looking at your pictures I'm thinking about when I would be able to fit it in this summer! It's so beautiful. Thanks for such an awesome post, I loved reading it.

Francom Family said...

I want to go so bad, it looks amazing. Sorry about Nash getting sick that is never fun, and then it's worse when they are babies and don't understand using a bowl/bucket/bag. I put a pearl neckalace in a "safe place" like your leaf, it is lost to. Maybe someday we will stubble across it. I love the picture of you and Nash too, you are so beautiful.

Jeanine said...

I love the pictures, it is so fun that you guys live so close to so many things and can tour. Jealous.

So the cake, I just found a picture on the internet that I liked and then copied it. Fondant is really easy to use so it makes everything look better. I just bought the fondant, I actually hate fondant so we (adults) didn't even eat the cake. I was VERY scared of this part of Sadie's life too. It wasn't as bad as I thought. You will make GREAT cakes.

Elaine/Kent said...

Christina we were hoping to come this year to the Hill Cumorah Pageant but didn't make it so maybe next year we will be able to join you! I love the pageant there, there isn't anything like it! Love your pictures! Poor little Nash! My favorite pics are the ones with you and Nash in the yellow flowerbed. Cute!

Chelle said...

Hey, I feel like I haven't had a spare moment in FOREVER!!! We've been so busy. I caught up on your blog tonight, and it looks like you guys are doing SO GOOD!!!! Clear back from Darin's graduation pictures, it just looks like you guys are doing so great, so happy to be done with medical school and looking good!!!!! So many fun things, I love the roller coaster ride videos, and this Palmyra trip. I am way happy for how good you guys are doing and how happy you are. Oh, happy 4th Anniversary too!!!!! YEAH!! I miss you guys so much!!!! I've been meaning to e-mail you about the class reunion, but haven't gotten around to it. Sorry!! I think I'll call you tomorrow. Hopefully, if not tomorrow, then next week for sure. Life's been crazy, I need to blog about it all someday!! Love you tons! Talk to you soon!

Pennsylvania Hendershots said...

I love the leaf story. I do the "safe place" scenario too often!
We need to get our family back to Palmyra - it really is a beautiful place.