Monday, May 16, 2011

Puff, the Magic Dragon


Nash has been so into dragon's and dinosaurs lately when I ask him what song he wants me to sing to him at night he often says "dragons!" So ummm... how many dragon songs do you know? The only one that came to mind was "Puff the Magic Dragon." Not to far into the song, I realized that I only knew the chorus and so I just made up the rest...I got that from Grandma Willardson, she is always singing cute made up songs to the grandkids.
Today, Nash and I made our weekly trip to the library. The past 2 weeks he has been hanging over my shoulder saying "dragon book mommy, find dragon book!" SO MUCH PRESSURE!!! I am madly looking through the rows of books to find the words dragon and/or dinosaur so I can give him a book to look at while I browse. I seriously think we have read every dinosaur or dragon book in the Parkland Library! Maybe it is time to move on to the Lower Macungie Library. :) Today I found the book "Puff, the Magic Dragon" (the same one illustrated in the above video.) I was so happy, and then it was a bonus when I saw there was a CD in the back!
Of course the second we got home Nash wanted to jump right into the books. Puff was the first he wanted to read so I got out the CD player and we began singing the book with the music. HOLY COW! I don't think I have ever listened to the lyrics (I think I always thought it was about drugs...haha!) Seeing the words with the illustrations was so OVERWHELMING! I was sobbing by the end of the book. I couldn't help but think about how FAST my little boy is growing up. This fighting dragons and dinosaurs is such a short little phase. I wish I had a camera to capture that sweet moment with my little boy, sitting in the corner rocking chair singing to his dragon book. Then after wards he slammed the book shut and ran off with his sword. :) It makes me smile thinking about it.
Later that night we sang it again but with daddy. I still sobbed my eyes out. Hopefully the song will get easier because knowing Nash there will be at least 50 more readings of this book!

3 comments:

Jannice said...

Yes I shed tears with you when I listened to the words. Our boy is growing up. How we love and miss him. Thanks for posting wonderful pictures and thoughts. Love Mom

CathyCosby said...

you have forgotten that I played that when you all where little while you were taking a bath, you kids loved that tape....8 track, than cd...lol.

Marjean 'n Aaron said...

So cute picturing Nash running around with a sword and playing dragons. Little boys are so fun!