Sunday, August 22, 2010

Loving the Living Room

We are progressing along in our home.  We have finished the majority of the main floor and I am in hopes that it will be completely done by the end of this week.  Here is what the Living Room/Entrance looked like when we first viewed our home back in April...
Yeah the curtains were the first thing to go when we moved in!
Next I began ripping out the carpet.  This is the trash pile of flooring/carpet minus a couple of bags.
Then there was this crazy hardwood flooring.  It doesn't look to bad in this picture but it really was damaged and not very appealing.
So we got our crowbars and hammers and began destroying!  I don't know if we have ever recovered from this...HARD WORK...and super noisy!

Heres the pile of wood when we finished.  We couldn't put it with the trash because of the nails sticking out of it.  So I spent a night hammering the nails and now we have them in bags and we put them in the garbage can each week.  We can't put it all out or they will not take it unless we pay another $50 for pick up...blah!  I wanted to do a HUGE bonfire!
We also painted.  This room started out a yellow cream neutral color but Darin hated it.  So I let him pick the colors and we have blue now, which I love.
The entrance wall is a deeper blue.
...and well the stairs have seen many phases over the process.  I liked a picture I saw of stripes.  So I started with a brown and cream stripe...which looked GREAT!  Then we changed the room to blue so I painted the cream, blue.  That looked like a nursery so I added white and it just was too much so NOW this wall is solid brown. :)
This is the stack of flooring.  We decided to do a vinyl wood flooring.  It was super easy to put in and it looks really nice.  Not to mention easy to clean!  So here is the FINAL outcome....

My mom was a great help on SKYPE, and she told me where to hang things.  Sometimes I LOVE technology...
We were happy to find couch covers because our couches are a deep blue like the chair and the room was a bit BLUE!
We still need to put pictures in the frames but overall WE LOVE IT! Nash's speech therapist was a great person to bounce ideas off of.  She has a good eye for decorating and she suggested the rust color to accent the light blue...which I never thought of.  

9 comments:

Stacia said...

It looks awesome! You are amazing and have worked so hard! Good job! I look forward to the day that I will have a house I can choose what color I want to paint...

beck said...

it looks so good! when i saw the first picture i thought, "is that their new room?" and then i read that was the before and i was relieved. ha ha! can you come over and help me now?

Jeanine said...

SOO Cute! I love it you guys did a really good job! I always have these ideas and Nick looks at me like WHAT?! That seems like a lot of work, let's just leave it. :) I think its awesome that you are so daring to just jump in and do it! It looks awesome!

Jeff and ReAnn said...

Wow. I can't believe all the work you did and then REDID. You guys are animals. I love it though. And I thought the stripes were awesome! The colors look great. Question why did you guys rip up the old wood flooring instead of just refinishing it? Was it super damaged? Just wondering. Our wood floors are also a bit hammered but I like it. I am going for the old farm house motif in my house and I think the old wood floors go well. Anyways, your floors look awesome. Don't you just feel like a superhero after you look back at all you accomplished? I love owning a home. Awesome JOB!

Alyson said...

I can't believe how much work you have done in so little time! It looks amazing, you could have your own HGTV show or something.

Jenae said...

No WONDER we haven't seen you in a couple of months! You have been busting some butt, girl! It looks AMAZING! I can't wait to see it in PERSON! :) Let me know what your schedule is like. Brian heads back to school next week and then we're back to the grind. I need to find ways to occupy my time while Weston is in school this year! Maybe I can just come and hang in your sweet new pad! :)

Elaine/Kent said...

Christina I love what you did! What a project to undertake! I'm impressed! Beautiful job! :o)

Kim said...

Great job Christina! You guys have been busy!! Congrats on having such a beautiful home to call your own.

Randy & JoAnna said...

Love it! I'm not a decorator...I always need help choosing things...Randy is my interior decorator!! Goot job Clessa!