I tried really hard for a month to get a picture of Nash. He really hates pictures these days. Who can blame him he has had one in his face since day one of his birth. I did manage to get ONE. So here is my big FIVE year old.
Nash is old enough to go to start Kindergarten but the IEP team discussed his present levels and we decided that he would benefit from one more year of pre-k. I really felt comfortable with this decision but Darin wasn't so sure. I contacted the school district in South Carolina to see if I could get him into their pre-k class. They told me no because he was 5 and should be starting kindergarten or if that wasn't what I wanted then I needed to seek out a private preschool, because they only accept 4 year olds unless the 5 year old has an IEP. DING DING DING! That is exactly what we have and they agreed to test him. Nash worked so hard to get ready for the test. I didn't want him to stress out for it but I really wanted him to understand how important it was to do his best. We met with Mrs. Clerc, Asa and I sat outside while she played and tested Nash. He did really well and was very proud of himself. Mrs. Clerc said he tested high for pre-k but a little low for kindergarten. We talked about his anxiety and confidence level as well as his speech issues. She agreed with me that she thought he should hang back in pre-k one more year. She said that they expect their kindergartners to be reading by December. If they are not then they repeat. Darin and I both agreed that the pressure of kindergarten may just send our little guy over the edge. So Nash will be going to pre-k one more year. He was pretty proud of himself and said to Asa in the backseat. "Guess what Asa I passed my test and I get to go to pre-kindergarten. And I get to ride a bus!" He smiled all the way home. I love his innocence so much!
Nash is such a great big brother. He always "has an eye on Asa". Making sure he isn't eating any of his toys or eating something yummy that he might want. Asa adores his brother and wants to be everywhere he is. Nash is really into music and dancing right now, and Asa is always right there with him bobbing up and down to the music.
It is funny how one word can make such a great impression. I remember when Nash said "mama" for the first time. I was so excited. Then I remember when he started saying "mommy" instead of mama. It was like a little piece of me died because he was no longer that baby. Today he called me "mom" which he really has never done that before. I stopped and stared at him, baffled at what I was seeing. Nash is a big kid now. Or as he would say "a medium kid!" When did my brown eyed boy grow up??!! I LOVE being his mother. He makes me proud every day.



No comments:
Post a Comment